Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent: Presence




When I embarked yesterday on this Lenten "word meditation," I wondered how I would know to which word I should  fasten my thoughts.  My days are full of words.  I worked for 2 hours yesterday with 15 kids collaborating on a musical we are writing.  That session alone was an explosion of words!  

But God, who planted this idea in my heart, is faithful to bring one word bubbling to the surface this morning:  presence.



What do I desire from this Lenten journey?  What does God desire of me?  Presence, I think.

Me drawing near to Him through contemplation, through small deeds done in love, through telling of his goodness.  Him drawing near to me because I ask, because that's who He is, an eager dance partner who will pull me close and lead out with joy. 

 “I cannot imagine how religious persons can live satisfied without the practice of the presence of GOD. For my part I keep myself retired with Him in the depth of centre of my soul as much as I can; and while I am so with Him I fear nothing; but the least turning from Him is insupportable.” 
― Brother LawrenceThe Practice of the Presence of God


As I sat in a ladies' Bible study yesterday, I learned of a helpful distinction regarding the presence of God.  One attribute of God is his omnipresence.  That he can be everywhere at once is a mind-blowing feat, but I tend to accept his omnipresence in stride.  

What I cannot overlook is his manifest presence...the times when his utter being breaks through the veil in rays of light and warmth and revelation, and I viscerally react with tears or goosebumps.  

I find I'm most prone to experience God's manifest presence when I am in worship or when I am telling a story about Him or his people; when I am actively thinking on His glory.  


But as for me, it is good to be near God.

    I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
    I will tell of all your deeds.  Psalm 73:28


Yesterday, as I sat at a corner table in a coffee shop with my laptop and headphones, this song came on the Pandora classical channel: Tribute and Angus Dei by Michael W. Smith.   It broke through my thoughts with its gorgeous crescendo, and God's manifest presence joined me for tea.  Goosebumps.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that piece in the video yesterday--and was struck by the 'looked at him'. It brought to mind those times when I felt that look, the moments when my entire being was in the Presence. It isn't only profound moments, but it IS always a moment when my heart and mind are truly still, focused in on the Word. Manifest indeed.

    ReplyDelete